Wednesday, June 10, 2009

ScHoOl SpIrIt aNd uNiTy HuRaY!!!!!!!!

Written By: Connie De La Cruz
I was part of the group Juicy R, and I was in the C section. My groups theme was lack of school spirit and unity. Our theme was addressing the problem that exists within our university at current times. Even though, UCR is the number one school in diversity, there is no unity or school spirit. The university might be diverse, but there is a consistency of each race hanging out within their race. Thus, creating groups of the same diversity, therefore, lacking unity. Our goal as a group was to present as a dance how we can unite each ethnic group to combine as one. As a product of unity school spirit is increased and therefore creating a better environment and improving school spirit.

Our group was split into three sub groups: the U’s, the C’s, and the R’s. Each sub-group represented a different region of the Latin American and African areas. The U’s represented modern Brazil, the C’s represented the 80’s era in Brazil, and the R’s represented the Congo in Africa. Each group went up and presented their little dance representing their geographical location. As each group was dancing the other two groups would stand behind and criticize and put down the group that was dancing. This separation of groups and the gestures simulate how even though there is ethnic diversity there is no unity within the groups. At the end of our dance we join together as a group and combine our dances to become one. After we exit dancing to the celebration song and we chant a cheer that represents UCR. This symbolizes how we put aside our ethnic differences and join together creating unity. We also create school spirit by uniting and chanting our school cheer and celebrating that we are united.

Our dance was about five minutes long. I think our dance was satisfactory as to the time limit given to us. I would not personally take any second out of the dance because each move within our dance and all of our changing and fusion of different sounds are needed to portray our theme. Each second we used was used in a practical and essential manner. I personally think our dance does not need any more additions to it because we were able to present our theme successfully within the time limit given to us. We actually had time to spare.






Moreover, our costumes also help present our theme. We each wore a t-shirt that either had a U, a C, or an R, depending on which sub group the person was in. the different letters on each shirt help symbolize the lack of unity and separation present in our campus. Afterwards, we join together and as we each stand in a specific place within the line we join together to spell UCR, representing that we are now united at the end and we have school spirit.


My specific sub group represented the C in UCR. We danced to Bossa Nova music, most common in Brazil during the 80’s. We did something different and more creative. We decided to include a different style of music that was not as common as samba and the Orixa dances we had learned in class. We wanted to challenge ourselves by presenting some different dance rather than what was taught to us in lecture.
I was most surprised when I finally realized that we can express ourselves through dance. I was amazed to learn how we present a dance move can create a word and be more meaningful then speech. Dance can be used to present a protest, speech, and an idea instead of using speech. I also was astonished when I learned that through dance we can create a deeper meaning and create a deeper impact to the viewer.


Most importantly I learned something about myself. I learned that I am capable of working with others without having to be in control and the boss of everything. I usually assume a leadership position and become a dictator over my group. Usually I tend to end up doing everything for the group because I am over controlling. This time I decided to take a step back and let some one else take the leadership position. I decided to take a not so important role but still very critical role within my group. I decided to be in charge of costume design. I was able to contribute some ideas as to how our costumes were to be. Most notably we worked as a team deciding on our costume dress and as to what materials and symbols we were going to use. Although I was a key person because the group relied on me to order our custom made t-shirts and deliver them to school in time for our presentation. I was able to control myself and not become a total control freak trying to get everything perfect. This time I had fun with my group. I stepped back and learned how to enjoy a project that was done in collaboration with others.

Written By: Connie De La Cruz

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Connie! It is so hard to break old patterns and you did it! Success! The parade was great and the costumes really helped to avoid stereotyping everyone. Great work.

    Your writing is clear enough, a wee rushed int he intro, but steady. Work to place commas where they are needed on a consistent basis.

    Your group overcame the obstacle of its size in a very creative way to turn in a fantastic show and convincing argument. Good work!
    parade: √++
    write-up: √++

    ReplyDelete